ALAMOSA CARNEGIE LIBRARY
The Town of Alamosa was awarded $6,000 from millionaire philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, on March 21, 1908 for the construction of a public library.
In May, that same year, a motion was passed by the Town Trustees that the vacant lot beside the First Baptist Church on 4th Street and State Avenue be selected for the new library.
Two years later, the Alamosa Carnegie Library opened its doors to the public on February 24 with a whopping 1,500 books ready for checkout. Mrs. Bertha E. Roberts was appointed the first librarian with a monthly salary of $45.00.
5-6-1908 & 5-13-1908 minutes RE deed Baptist church property for Carnegie Library
1908 Deed from Baptist Church to Town of Alamosa for Alamosa Carnegie Library
2-8-1910 Alamosa Carnegie Library open
8-16-1937 Alamosa Carnegie Library – Letter from Leone Galeraneau
5-11-1946 Early History of Alamosa Public Library – From Reading room to Carnegie Library
5-11-1946 Early History of Alamosa Public Library – original part 1
To meet ADA and WCAG reqs, either this text book should be a transcription of what is in the image, or that transcription must be included in the Description Tag of the image itself.
- A Snapshot of the History of the Alamosa Library
- 1908 Minutes: Deed Baptist Church Property for Carnegie Library
- 1908 Deed: Baptist Church to Town for Carnegie Library
- 1910 Alamosa Carnegie Library Opens
- 1937 Carnegie Library – Letter from Leone Galeraneau
- 1946 From The Reading Room to Carnegie Library
- 1946 Early History of Alamosa Public Library, pt1